Getting your wisdom teeth taken out isn’t fun. However, there are several ways you can make the wisdom teeth removal process easier on yourself and to also speed up the healing process.
1. Watch What You Eat– After wisdom teeth removal surgery isn’t the time to get a burger from your favourite restaurant. After the surgery, stick with softer foods, like pudding and ice cream, and then add solid foods back into your diet gradually. Also, don’t drink through a straw—the sucking action can cause your stitches to come loose.
2. Rest Up– Although you may want to get back to your normal activities after wisdom teeth removal as quickly as possible, take at least a day to relax and recover. You should also avoid strenuous exercise for several days after that.
3. Open Your Mouth– After the wisdom teeth removal surgery, your mouth may be feeling stiff. However, you should try to open and close your mouth at regular intervals to prevent this stiffness from becoming long-lasting.
4. Rinse with Salt Water– If you are experiencing swelling and pain in your mouth, try rinsing with salt water. After the surgery, this should be done several times, especially after eating and drinking, to prevent infection.
5. Listen to Instructions– When you have your wisdom teeth removed at our office, our dentist, Dr. Anna Szmitko, will likely provide you with several guidelines regarding how to take care of your mouth after the surgery. Make sure that you abide by these instructions as closely as possible, as this will ensure you are able to heal from the surgery quickly.